facebookYou Tubefeedfeedfeed
Deutsche VersionPrintSuche

Notes for enrollment

For enrollment, the applicant must submit the following documents either in person or in writing to the Hochschule für Musik Freiburg by the end of the enrollment period at the latest:

1.Printed, completed and signed application for enrollment (online portal)

2. Proof of health insurance from a German health insurance company: as of 01.01.2022, student notifications will be transmitted digitally from the health insurance company to the universities. You must request the health insurance company to register you electronically at the Hochschule für Musik Freiburg (reason for registration 10).

3. Proof of payment of the contribution for the Studierendenwerk Freiburg amounting to 103 € (75 € + 28 €), the contribution for administrative costs amounting to 70 €, the contribution for the student parliament amounting to 17 € and the deposit for the student ID card amounting to 10 €.

4. Foreign applicants must also prove that they have a residence permit authorizing them to study.

Enrollment is only possible after the aptitude test has been passed, a study place has been explicitly allocated and the enrollment documents are complete. Study certificates will not be issued prior to enrollment.

Details can be found in the enrollment statutes.

Health insurance

All students must prove that they have health insurance until they reach the age of 30 when they enrol at a higher education institution. From 1.1.2022, this will be done via the electronic registration procedure SMV by the German statutory health insurance companies.

All students, regardless of their insurance status, must therefore contact any statutory German health insurance company upon enrolment in order to initiate the registration procedure with the university. For foreign students, this can also be done from their home country electronically.


Students with statutory health insurance: ask their health insurance company to send "Meldegrund 10" for the Freiburg University of Music. The insurance company will send the necessary information electronically directly to the Musikhochschule. Your insurance status would be „versicherungspflichtig“


Privately insured students: require electronic notification to the University from any statutory German health insurance company). The health insurance company will exempt you from compulsory insurance for the entire duration of your studies (“Dauerbefreiung”). Your insurance status would be “von der Versicherungspflicht befreit”


EU citizens submit their European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to a German statutory health insurance company (can also be done electronically by scan). The insurance company electronically informs the university that you are not subject to compulsory insurance. Your insurance status would be: “nicht versicherungspflichtig”


International students may have to take out health insurance in Germany. Check with any statutory health insurance company whether the health insurance cover from your home country is sufficient. If this is not the case, you will have to insure yourself as a student with a German statutory or private health insurance (approx. 100 € per month including nursing care insurance). This can also be done from abroad. If you have private health insurance, get in touch with a statutory health insurance company, which sends the necessary information electronically to the Musikhochschule. Your insurance status would be “pflichtversichert” or “von der Versicherungspflicht befreit”


You can find an overview of the statutory health insurance funds here: www.krankenkassen.de/krankenkassen-vor-ort/freiburg/

Residence permit

Non-EU- citizens have to have a residence permit. You will have to apply for a residence permit at the Foreigners’ Registration Office. You will have to arrange an appointment by email ABH-Termine@stadt.freiburg.de or the service number: 0761/ 201-6470

For further information please check:


Die deutschen MusikhochschulenDeutsch-Französische Hochschule